|Browse all patches|
Print errors both on the screen and the standard-error
Patch testing Edit
- Copy/paste the patch listed below into some file, eg.
- If you don't have sawfish sources yet, have one, as described get it from GIT repo.
- Go into the directory where sawfish sources reside, eg.
- Test if the patch applies cleanly with this command:
patch -p1 --ignore-whitespace --dry-run < TEST.diffin case of problems try also:
- If it applies cleanly, then remove the
--dry-runfrom above command and run it again, otherwise ask on the mailing list.
- Compile sawfish:
./autogen.sh && make
- Install it for testing, but it depends on your linux distribution.
- It is always better to install sawfish as your distribution package, but it is different for each distribution.
- So you may try
make install, which will install sawifish in
/usr/local/share/sawfish/(if you have write access). But then make sure that you run the correct version and delete it from that directory afterwards, to avoid any conflicts.
- Se also
PS: edit this template if you feel that those instructions can be improved.
Index: lisp/sawfish/wm/ext/error-handler.jl =================================================================== --- lisp/sawfish/wm/ext/error-handler.jl (Revision 4263) +++ lisp/sawfish/wm/ext/error-handler.jl (Arbeitskopie) @@ -43,7 +43,7 @@ (defcustom error-destination 'standard-error "Display error messages to: \\w" - :type (choice nowhere screen standard-error) + :type (choice nowhere screen standard-error both) :group (misc error-handling)) ;; ring buffer for containing error messages @@ -69,7 +69,11 @@ (display-message text)) ((standard-error) (write standard-error text) - (write standard-error #\newline))))) + (write standard-error #\newline)) + ((both) + (display-message text) + (write standard-error text) + (write standard-error #\newline))))) (define (retrieve-errors) (ring->list error-ring))
Community's reasons for inclusion or rejection Edit
Patch submitters, please vote also! Yes, obviosuly your vote will be positive, but it's the place to give your explanation why this patch is good for all Sawfish users, and why it is correct - good reasons for inclusion.
When voting anonymously please write your name, so that it can be associated with your posts on the mailing list. If you are logged in you can sign yourself by typing four tilda characters: ~~~~.
- Please vote with: vote: yes., vote: no., vote: let's try in experimental., vote: pondering. or wait for next release.
- vote: yes. simple patch. in my eyes usefull if beep is disabled and you want to have errors logged + imidiate notification Flashrider [Christopher Bratusek] 16:38, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- vote: yes. I need a way to generate an error in sawfish, to test it :) They happen sometimes, but how to generate one? Janek Kozicki 20:00, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
- Oh, there has been a misstake in the patch, fixed. How to produce an error: simply add a wrong value to ~/.sawfishrc: ( define-special-variable default-window-animator 'wrong-value ) Flashrider [Christopher Bratusek] 22:17, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
- changed vote to yes (but it will wait for 1.3.5, I think). Now I can see an error message. I wish it was more informative, because I got only "wrong function ()" while "wrong function () : default-window-animator" or anything like that would be better, but perhaps it's not possible with lisp. Janek Kozicki 14:33, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- vote: let's try in experimental. I'm running it currently, I think that it can go to experimental. I added this patch to experimental branch for testing. Janek Kozicki 16:08, 17 September 2008 (UTC)
- vote: yes. commited rev4307 Flashrider [Christopher Bratusek] 15:21, 21 November 2008 (UTC)